July 30, 2008

No dining in the sky for me

I have a fear of heights. A pretty bad one, in fact, to the point that sometimes if I'm walking up a set of open stairs (meaning you can see between the slats), I feel nauseated. Scott and I once stopped by this bookstore while we were in Stowe, VT and it was so cute. I went to investigate the upstairs and noticed that it was (a) an open spiral staircase and (b) the upstairs itself looked like it wasn't supported by too much. I somehow got up there but didn't stay upstairs too long at all.

So, with that in mind, the thought of this just makes me want to throw up. The concept is called "Dinner in the Sky" and basically 22 people are strapped into leather seats secured to a table and then hoisted 12 stories up by a crane to enjoy their meal 180 feet in the air.

I found out about this through an article that was in the Boston Herald today. The people in the pictures look quite happy and like they don't have a care in the world. Clearly none of them have a strong fear of heights, or else they're somehow glossing over the person who's green and whimpering silently (or not so silently) in their chair with their feet dangling into space.

I'm sure if you don't have a fear of heights (and have $30K to throw around -- the starting group price), this would be all sorts of interesting. For me, I'll remain firmly on the ground.

2 comments:

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Um. No. I think I'll eat my dinner with my table and my feet firmly on the ground, thankyouverymuch.

Monica said...

That's just insane!!